Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Thursday 20 September 2007

the end

Jo'burg airport 18:56

Sitting here I realize how hectic these last few days have been... meetings, panels, drawings, site, thatch and all the rest. It feels like the end of a cycle but also the beginning of a whole new and scary one.

Although I will be back in less than 3 weeks to try and (finally) get the LCCU finished, I feel as though I'm leaving...

This morning when I visited the site a truck load of thatch had just arrived and that gives me hope that by the time I'm back we will be able to get on with it. In the mean time I have left the site in the hands of Baba and Sally, who will keep the pressure on the contractor and hopefully send me back some info and photos so that I can keep an eye on it. It will be a kind of virtual master of puppets if it all goes well, with me being able to still manage the site from thousands of Km away... Marvels of the modern world!

This is the last post which will be transcript onto my thesis so it is my last chance to thank everyone. I'd like to thank Camille and my family for the patience and staying behind me even when I had to change my returns, my teacher Luis Urbano (FAUP) for giving me the chance to embark on this task, to A4A, Martin and the Sentebale team (yes Baba, you too are Sentebale) for all the support I needed and all the good times, to Pete and Susie (K4L) for housing me when I was "homeless", all the workers on site, Ntate Linakane and Ntate Sello for the good job so far (let's speed it up now), all my other friends and people which have supported, helped and been there during this experience, I'd also like to thank specially Harper, Sally, Sam and Oscar for making my stay in Lesotho such a great one!

See you all soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pedro!!!
i just cant belive it is the end of your advenrure! i was reading your blog often and i'm impressed. and jealous!!:)
where r u guys now??? hope to see you soon!!!
take care!!!