Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Wednesday 24 October 2007

Fittings, thatch, pipes and steel

Morning was spent looking for light fittings so that we can start mounting them on site. Unfortunately when I arrived back to tell the electrician about my findings he was not there.

The roof solution for the canopies works well on paper now, and I just need to be sure that it works… Today it was not possible because there were still other issues to solve specially concerning the ridge. As it is the roof in the different parts of the same block are at the different levels and Ntate Sello was trying to get them to match. But I spoke to the thatcher and I do not think it is worth wasting 2days work just to adjust it 100-200mm.

This said it would be nice if they matched but it could just go the either way and we would still 100mm higher but on the other side. So better just leave it as it is.

So once that was sorted I decided to run a few tests to see if we had the appropriate fall in all our drainage pipes… Water down the pipe and will it come out the side?

Yes! They worked, so I can say that I’m pretty pleased with that.

My last task for today was organizing to buy the necessary steel sections so that the Ntate Letchesa could start manufacturing them... all went well and the frames will actually be slightly cheaper than I had imagined so another good thing.

No comments: