Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Friday 8 February 2008

Trials and tribulations…

It all started yesterday as I realized, by tests, that what worked well on paper actually doesn’t work in reality! I even had 100mm to spare (on paper) but, it is just not possible…

So the canopy cannot sail under the roofs eaves and be mounted on to the walls, only solution is to hang it from the rafters. It is actually a more elegant solution, and be using a flexible joint it is also possible to avoid any extra wind pressure which might affect the roof structure.

So now that the holes for the floor brackets have been enlarged, the wall ones abandoned I spent most of the day organizing metals braces and other bits (not successful in all cases) to see if tomorrow I will manage to try them out!

No comments: