Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Monday 30 April 2007

It’s getting warmer…

The weekend was freezing! -10 C Saturday night! Now it’s a bit better… During the day it’s warm again and the nights are not so cold… 21 C and 5 C, but the weekend was just too much.

But when you have to work it doesn’t really matter if it’s cold or warm, except if you are working on site all day! Luckily I was not there all the day but when I visited it the workers were telling me that it had been horrible that they cold hardly stand it! But on they went with the work and we are slowly moving forwards.

Another thing I did this weekend was meet Sara, the Art teacher from the International school. I had been told to contact her with regards to the “Litema” workshops that I’ll be doing with the children, for the decoration of the LCCU. She was interested in the project and has committed to helping me out on the day and also with a few of the preparations. Through her I will meet Musho, one of the leading painters of Lesotho, and he’ll introduce us to some of the local women, artists would be a more appropriate word, that still know the Art of “Litema”.

Like I said last week today I was meeting the Hospital Superintendent. Let’s say there was progress even though the meeting didn’t go that well! He has the idea of building a common playground for infected and uninfected kids. Which as a starting point is a great idea, the problem is that the way that the hospital is organized does not really allow for that. If the kids that are waiting for the HIV treatment had to go and play in the so called “normal” playground they would be 150mt away and with no supervision. So in a way it is imperative to place the playground where the Doctors and the Clinton foundation want to have it. Like I explained it would be a non-permanent solution.

He insisted that it should be elsewhere but he also said that he was under so much pressure from everyone to allow it that if someone insisted again he’d have to give in, but he would not be responsible for it… So as you see there’s been progress.

When I reported this to the Clinton Foundation they decided to go ahead with it. So I’ll come up with a plan and we’ll go and discuss it with him again. Which if he is a man of his word means that he’ll accept it even if he doesn’t agree!

No comments: