Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Friday 27 April 2007

They are sitting on the solution

The Bophelong Clinic of QEII has asked us to come up with the plans for a playground. The Clinton Foundation has agreed to fund it the problem is that the QEII still objects to it.

However after my visit to the Hospital today I discovered that they are actually sitting on the solution. In more than one way…

At the end of hospital grounds behind a container there is a huge pile of rubber floor tiles! The kind that with a coat of paint can be used to solve the playground problem.

Re-used tiles, a coat of paint, a dozen tires, a small fence, a truck of sand, and a rope and you’d build yourself a playground swings and all! Easy!

And if the Hospital decides they need to reuse those grounds a shovel and a few man can take it down in a couple of hours…

Monday I’ll go and talk to Superintendent and see if we can reach this deal.

Work on site is still going as planned. The old floor slab is being dug out and today I just asked them not to store the rocks on the remaining slab but to store them outside… No need to overload a fairly week slab.

2 comments:

Camille said...

how are you going to do with the plastic ? his melting propriety is really bad. how will you rigid the whole structure ?
i would like a professionnal point of view throught your blogs ....;)
and not including it in our daily private discussions...
your

Pedro Clarke said...

Maybe I didn't explain very well before...
The plastic floor tiles will be aplied on a bed of gravel and sand, these will have the double function of letting the water drain undrr the playground and serve as a soft base for the cuildren to play on. The rest of the playgrond would be made using different sized tyres in diferent ways. Thx for the comment.