Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Friday 20 July 2007

And today we built a playground…

Well, not quite but we did make a good start at it! And if we had had a few extra pairs of hands we would have!

Camille and I spent all our day at the QEII hospital helping Liau (a volunteer from the Lerotholy polytechnic that accepted my invitation to come and help us on this project) build the playground! It was exhausting but fun! By lunch time we had already managed to set out all the tyres and pour crushed stone over then.

By the way, the playground, which we fought long time for is a simple, concrete slab on a crushed stone sub-base, with a tyre fence. It is quite simple but I think the children will actually like it once it becomes operational.

So as I was saying, by lunch we had already managed to make our sub-base and placed all the tyres in the right positions. In the afternoon, we started pouring concrete, but not even with the help of two of Liau’s friends (thank you so much for your help, all of you, hope to see you on Monday) we managed to finish the concrete.

Monday we will restart and finish this process. Then, next Thursday the children that will visit the clinic will be invited to paint a tyre! It will be a nice moment and it will contribute to sense of ownership of the place!

Although we didn’t manage to finish it today, I learnt a lot about construction, about pouring and levelling concrete, about making smooth, and about the way that some people are actually willing to give back to the community all that they have received!
more pictures of the construction click here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pck.clarke/PlayQEII

No comments: