Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Tuesday 24 July 2007

Something had to give…

After 3 hours of tense discussion, Mr Linakane decided to just drive off…

Ntate Sello and all the rest of us were left there looking at his car drive off wondering what had happened! Ok the conversation was not going that easily, can’t really say that it was going his way… I was not prepared to give in on this one.

I don’t care if the top of the wall detail is not going to be as fine as I had expected… Don’t even care too much if the windows are crocked (not saying that they are, but really couldn’t care too much if they were…) but I do care if I feel that roof is not properly secured and resistant!

So as I insisted, and insisted, that I would not feel comfortable if we did not brace it my way. When he drove off I thought it was the end of it, specially when I called him and he didn’t pick up, but soon after he called Ntate Sello got a phone call, and since he had already understood my point he managed to reach an agreement.

I will not get all that I asked for (the purlins will not be put in, and to his defence, I did visit quite a few sites and never saw any) but the bracing will go in every other one, thus making it more rigid. Diagonals will also be put in place and like this I think that I will able to sleep at night…

Just for the record, the discussion was mainly about the fact that he though that I was over-designing/spending (we are both on the same side, he should understand this) by wanting to brace it 9 times as opposed to 7!!!!

It was a morning well spent nevertheless! And it seems we are in for a long battle now…

Because I don’t like to finish on a negative tone, I’d just like say thank you to Liau and his friends for having finished today the concrete for the playground!

No comments: