Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Sunday 4 November 2007

Fit for 2 princes

Yesterday was the last stretch to get the LCCU in shape for today’s show and tell!

I woke up early and rushed to pick up the steel guy. Then I took him to site to start work on it! The idea was to get a section of it looking as finished as possible so as to show what the finished product might look like!

When I left the LCCU, to drive up to Butha-Buthe for a discussion about ideas of how to develop some sites up there, I was not quite sure if we would pull it off… But we did the Extreme make over was complete and a success! Thanks everyone for such a good job yesterday and this morning to get it looking so good!

The panels on the walls were a success and they will be even better now that our patrons have also made some! Everything went as planned although there was a bit of a snapping frenzy at one moment, but even that seemed to blow over quickly.

“I’d like to live here” was about the best compliment we could have got for all our work. I’m only sad that we could not use such a great opportunity to have Princes Seeiso and Harry open the building. But we will continue to work hard and hopefully soon it will not be just a section but the whole building which will be looking that great!

For more photos of today and latest LCCU photographs click here

No comments: