Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Thursday 8 November 2007

The Lapa

The Lapa, a traditional feature of a Basotho home, is a kind of small yard defined by a small wall, it has many features and serves for different rituals and preparations durinhg a normal day. We do not have a traditional Lapa (although are internal courtyard is an interpretation of such) but now the entrance has also been defined by a small platform and a stub wall will soon be built on it.

The rest of the work is carrying on as planned. Some more thatch arrived this morning and we are now at 75% of Block B. Paint on Block A is speeding up and the Plumber and Electrician are doing their best.


If more thatch arrives tomorrow we should be able to close it by next week.


The funniest event of the day was whilst I was delivering tables and benches to the new LCCU there was a group policemen stopping cars, they did not stop me but when I reached the top of the hill there was another waving at me. I assumed he had been radioed by the others to stop me and check for my (unexisting) licence to transport oversize objects in my car. I nearly didn’t stop but as I slowed down and saw him running I decided I’d better do it.


He immediately got into my car and told me to drive fast! Puzzled I told him I couldn’t because of the load… But he told me that he was trying to catch a couple of thieves! So even with all the load I managed to take him down the hill before the robbers ran away and help him save the day!

No comments: