Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Sunday 3 June 2007

Big Bad Wolf?

Social life in Maseru is not the biggest thing and even when I manage to get out, as yesterday, I seem to bump into more work… At a party last night I met the Country Director for Habitat for Humanity (H4H).

After a small conversation I understood that this NGO even though the name would suggest it, is not currently working with architects here in Lesotho. So I proposed what had to be… I would talk to A4A and see if it would be possible to help them out on this one.

H4H is currently interested in building 50 orphanages and if this partnership goes ahead we might end up helping to design these same orphanages. I already made a suggestion to their prototype, one that could save them money and help them achieve their limited budget … However it is not up to me to decide on this project. I will suggest it and wait. H4H will send me a proposal of what type of work they would require from us and if A4A accepts to do it I will be more than happy to help them develop it. They are aiming at starting to build these in September so this whole project has to happen fairly quickly…

I also met at the same time a Basotho Film Maker, could be a future contact for Sentebale if they decide on doing a new documentary. It’s always better to try and foment local people as opposed to fly them over from the UK.

Today I had planned to go to the Museum and Archives at Morija. But before I this I went to meet Lydia, to discuss the changes to the plans and to check on progress on site.

The changes were accepted and progress on site seems to picking up some speed.

By the time that I made it to Morija I had already made some detours for photo-research and stopped by at Matsieng, the King’s village, where I was welcomed by the “Herd Men” (grown up Herd Boys) and given a taste of their locally brewed beer in exchange for taking their photos! (which I promised to give to them on my next visit)

At Morija the Museum is rather small but has an interesting collection of pieces that tell you the story of Lesotho. The Archives on the other hand are quite impressive and I will defiantly return to study them better.

On the way back I bought some food at one of the side of the road shops, and when I tried to give it to a really young Herd Boy he ran away as fast as he could, leaving his animals to trail behind him… I felt bad but I guess that I might have scared him!

No comments: