Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Monday 25 June 2007

Wall or window

On the top right corner of all the drawings it clearly says that if any discrepancies are found on site please contact the architect.

I know that I don’t really qualify as an Architect yet but I still expect to be called up when these things happen.

When I went on site today, I noticed that the reinforcement for wall was hanging right on top of a window. That by my book is a discrepancy! But apparently not by theirs, they were just planning on moving the window…

And that is what they will do (because it is actually in the wrong place, consequence of the late change of plans), but if I had been called up we could have moved the wall and saved the extra work. But I wasn’t so and that is what will happen. Maybe next time they will do it.

However that was not the only thing that was wrong. The electrician decided that he preferred to install a sub-distribution board, and before I had any saying, he did it and they laid a slab over the routes, so now it seems to me a little to expensive to move it and as a result we have the SDB in the second boys room (in the position of the old one), I know that this room will also be shared by a house father but I would prefer that it was elsewhere!

But not all was wrong today. The ring beam in block A is complete. And tomorrow the poles will finally arrive. I also spoke to Ntate Linakane about the Sunshaders fire protection system. Tomorrow he will meet with them in Bloem and discuss prices. He will also bring back a model for me to have a look at. Also I’m still looking at alternatives for the canopy over the courtyard.

We have also started bringing the stone from the “quarry” and it is expected by the end of the week we will have most of the fill if not some of the slabs back on again.

Tomorrow some partition walls will start to be erected. Better go and have a look!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.