Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Friday 29 June 2007

Didn’t make it to site

Today I didn’t make it out on site, but when I phoned I was told that because it was pay day they would be leaving early and would not work the weekend.

Some of the men I was told are not form Maseru or Mazenod and haven’t seen their families for some time now… So I really understand that they don’t work tomorrow, however I asked if they could to compensate, work a few extra hours next weekend.

The response was positive! Great!

Zwane reappeared and came with Molope for a meeting at 13pm. I told them that the work done up till now was good (I just want them to change the window positions so that the courtyard becomes a secure place) and then I will show it to Lydia, and hopefully will carry on from there to start building it. I asked them also to give a copy to the building students so that they can start thinking about it.

The reason why I didn’t make it out on site today was that I spent the morning helping out at Sentebale so that we could deliver blankets and cooking equipment at the school for the blind. Sometimes you have to double out and help out with what you can, and plus I don’t think that they would have done any mistakes today.

And even if they had I now have the weekend to go and have a look at it and correct whatever is wrong.

No comments: