Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Thursday 17 May 2007

Just helping out…


Yesterday’s post was a little delayed (I’ve only posted it now with this one) not because I didn’t write it before but because I had a few internet problems and today I spent all my day on my hands and knees helping out at Sentebale.

Today was a public holiday here in Lesotho, and Baba and I decided we would help out Sentebale and do a job that needed to be done.

The new kitchen will arrive tomorrow and so today was our last chance of dismantling the old one and installing the new floor tiles. It was harder than we expected but in the end I think that we did quite a good job.

I also tried to contact the builders on site but without luck, we were expecting a jack-hammer, and I was curious to discover it had arrived or not?

If it did I expect that all the slabs should be broken up by now and all we need to do now is shovel it out so that we can start to rebuild! Really looking forward to that… If not I do hope to have it tomorrow because as I have already said before it will save us time that we don’t have!

Still waiting to know what will be the extra costs, so that we can discuss it and then present it to the bank.

No comments: