Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Friday 18 May 2007

What we have not achieved…

It’s been a month and we have not built a single wall, the roof is no where to be seen, we have not finished to dig out all the slabs or to correct the previous builders mistakes, we have not been able to provide extra shelter for the children, we have not managed to get to an agreement on what to build Lydia as a replacement for her old house, nor have we accomplished any of the other small projects that I’ve been parallel working on.

We have not managed to discuss with TED about the Biogas system, or agree on a price for the extra repairs on site…

But don’t distress! I don’t! ‘Cause I know that we are getting there!

All the things that happened or didn’t happen in this first month were necessities in a way… Without the rains, the structural problems would not have been evident and we might have ended up building an unsafe house (for all I know the roof might have just made the whole thing collapse). The children might be in a tight space (but no point re-housing them if their caretaker says that they would not like the new accommodation). Lydia’s new house might have ended up being just too big for anyone or too small for her (to achieve balance one sometimes needs to give in). The playground still needs testing before we can actually build it (the idea is good now let’s see if it works).

As for TED I’ve finally received a call and I must say the delay has served them well as they are almost on track now. And the price, that one will slowly have to adjust itself and that’s as certain as the fact that be building will not expand from 390m2 to 442m2.

There are two Portuguese traditional sayings that summarize this quite well “Há males que vêm por bem!” and “devagar se vai ao longe…”(Ruff translation: some bad things happen to be good! And slowly we will get there…)

No comments: