Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Monday 21 May 2007

Snow in the distance

Freezing! Today was just freezing…

The mountains are now covered in snow, and that seems to delay just about everything. The kitchen people didn’t manage to make it for 8:30 as planned, 11AM was more the time they showed up. They blamed the cold for the glue machines not warming up… I guess that they are probably right… Judging by the amount of insulation an average house has I would not be surprised if with this cold your everyday factory would not be able to achieve temperatures above freezing level.

But it seems that the kitchen was not the only thing delayed by the cold today. The delivery on site of the compressor/jack-hammer didn’t seem to happen. I spoke to both Director and Foreman and they were positively sure that it would arrive today… Maybe it got kidnapped by some stray Xmas reindeers looking for the North Pole… One can only guess!

One thing got done today though. I finally managed to get an appointment with the QS, I wanted to discuss with him his figures for the extra costs of the retaining wall. When he first delivered them to me, and then whizzed off before I could even ask any questions, last Friday I had a quick look, and it was evident that something was just slightly odd. The area he was proposing to demolish was bigger than the area of the building. So I did what we should have done long before and went through the whole area schedule of the building. I have now amended his estimate, given it back to him, and explained that a discount is made by subtracting from the final value and not adding on to it, and then presenting it the other way around!

Let’s see what I receive tomorrow…

No comments: