Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Tuesday 22 May 2007

Not a bad day…

It would have been a better day if not for the mistakes by the kitchen crew at Sentebale.
They managed to chip the floor tiles and damage the work tops whilst installing the new kitchen. Apart from that the kitchen is now finished, just awaiting that we pick a new mixer and find the dual sink connection pipes.

Siza’s first project was a gate I built a kitchen… Can’t say it has the same quality but it’s nice to have finished something!

I have to say that I should by now not be surprised at the poor workmanship, but I still have difficulty in accepting it and if I hadn’t gone out to take care of the LCCU, this matter would not have ended this way.

But enough about trivial things. The main project, the LCCU also had some major advances today. I managed to receive an updated version of the new costs, they look a bit better but the whole concept of a discount is still wrong. I’ll try and meet with Mr. Linakane tomorrow to sort that out.

The other main development on this scheme was my meeting for approval of the details with Eng. Lebohang Phooko. We have agreed on them now and I have issued them to the contractor. Unfortunately the compressor didn’t arrive on site either. But I’m still confident that next week we might start to build again.

Tomorrow I’ll meet with the Clinton foundation and the Medical Staff but also with a team of Architects/builders that had been invited to help out with the playground or so it seems by the medical staff.

The cold seems to be here to stay though I would appreciate if we had a few warm day next weeks to lay the concrete slabs. If not we will just have to improvise.

No comments: