Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Wednesday 8 August 2007

Accidents do happen

The most tragic accident happened today, luckily it was not on site and none of our people was injured.

I would like to share my deepest sympathy to you and I hope that you will recover soon.

In the mean time I will try and relieve you of some of your worries and work load.

It was in this spirit that I have decided to order a truck for tomorrow 8:30am. This morning when I visited the LCCU the truck had not arrived there so I have now, and in the light of recent events, take into my own hands the responsibility to source a truck to allow us to carry on work as normal.

I had gone to visit the LCCU, with Andreas from TED to discuss the water issues, when I discovered that there was not truck yet organized. I also met the thatcher, who gave me the good news that it would only take him 3months to complete each block… and by the time that I made it back to the office I received the news that there had been a road accident with a victim.

After that I decided that both for work to carry on and for people to be able to recover that I had to take it on me to organize the next couple of days. To start I have organized a truck for tomorrow and we will see how we take it from there on…

On to a more cheerful note, the QEII playground opening ceremony was today and it was with great pleasure that I noticed that the NEW hospital superintendent was very happy that we had built the playground here in his hospital!

The inauguration kind of reminded me of Expo98, when by the time people were making nice speeches about the success and goodness of the whole event there were still contractors and cleaning people finishing up on the other side of the park. This because just minutes before the ceremony I had been there fixing the swing to the tree! I had to insert a floor tile into the tyre to prevent the little kids from falling through but I think it will be a success. Judging by its short life today it will as children were already knocking each other over both to play in it but also from playing in it! Maybe I’ll have to dismount soon, if something serious does happen…

No comments: