Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Tuesday 21 August 2007

No show (once more)

Do not be scared by the picture!
This fire started today behind the Sentebale office, but thanks to Patricia’s sharp eye, we were able to put it out (nearly 1,5 hours later) before it reached our fence. However the title of today’s blog does not refer to this but to another not unusual but annoying event!

It is not the first second or third time that I get a no show by the contractor! (I waited all day, called about 3 times and still ziltch)!

No wonder work does not progress at the right rhythm, but I honestly don’t know what I can do to make him work better!

On site, which I visited just before it closed, work was slowly on its way with not much progress being noticed between yesterday and today. Met the electrician and decided to change a few plug positions in order to make the building phases more efficient.

Also in order to make things more efficient and less time consuming I have decided to cut down the number of decorative panels. Now they will only be fitted on the two long walls, simplifying the fixings and also making it less expensive.

One of my tests finally survived, and although it was the one made of simple clay (commercial) with mesh on the inside I’m happy that I now have a formula that works. I will try and come up with a refined mixture using local clay (crushed) so that we can make the panels virtually costless.

The reason why some of the other panels just cracked was the fact that when clay dries out it shrinks and harder backings would not allow it to shrink naturally thus causing it to crack! It is in fact unbelievable how much they actually shrink: the sample was 295 and shrunk down to 280. I will need to measure on site and then make the fixings in such a way that they can absorb these (possibly different) shrinkages.

No comments: