Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Monday 27 August 2007

Sills, roof and dome

I have since learnt that not all things move at the desired speed. Now that I know this I am a much more conformed person.

Yesterday I visited site and as there was little of interest to report I chose not to do so and to use that occasion only as comparison point for today. It was with some surprise, and also a bit of joy, that today the roof structure on the front of Block B has started to go up. Also the interior window sills have started to be put in place in Block A, and in the general things are starting to look a bit more finished (there is still miles to go, but the spirits, at least for today, were high).

A new thatcher also showed up today (4 were meant to come), but I must say that their progress was not that noticeable.

The biggest change of the day was the start of the Biogas dome. I met on site the guy that started TED 20 years ago, and he told me that he would be accompanying this build step by step as part of the training of the men that are doing it. This makes me feel more confident both with its quality and speed.

So things are slowly moving in the right direction, and with a little bit of luck we might soon be starting to see it close to its final shape.

No comments: