Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Monday 20 August 2007

Back (once more)…

Sometimes I wonder for how long this build is actually going to last… I’m disappointed but not surprised.

From the list of tasks that I left to be carried out this week, very little which can be seen has been done! It’s a disappointment because it means that in no way will it ever be near completion by the time I need to leave. And I don’t understand it, every day that goes by is a day on which they are loosing money, so why don’t they speed it up and get done with it…

Of course it doesn’t help if your thatcher doesn’t show up, or you run out if stone just two loads short of the top, but surely more could have been done this past week. Even when I phoned on Tuesday and Thursday I had the impression that it was going better than I have seen! Ok one slab has been cast and the other should be cast tomorrow, but these are things that should have finished month ago! The exterior plastering is also on it’s way but then again that is not a major achievement…

Tomorrow I have already organized to meet Ntate Linakane and maybe we will be able to talk it out, but even that I doubt.

And this was not the only disappointment of the day, another small project that I started with Camille has also slightly side tracked due to client changes, but in end I do hope that it will look ok.

The only joy of the day (although not 100%) was to see children playing in the refurbished Football pitch for the blind, it needs one or two finishing touches but at least it reminded me why I enjoy doing this. To see people (children) smiling and enjoying themselves!

No comments: