Up! Up! And away…

March 9th at 9pm I will fly out and the mission will begin. As a case study for finishing my diploma at FAUP (Porto Architectural School), I've decided to volunteer and join A4A (Architects for Aid) in one of their humanitarian architecture projects. The projected on which I've been assigned is the construction of the LCCU (Lesotho Children Counseling Unit) centre in Lesotho. The building has been halted and an assessment, survey and new proposal and program will be drawn up in order that the building might finish to be built. Once this is completed a second trip will be organized and I'll be overseeing the building on site. The objective of this blog is to keep record of the work that is being done, both for the benefit of the members of A4A in London, FAUP to whom I'll also be reporting, my own record as well as friends and family that might want to know what I'm up to. Please comment on any post that you have an opinion, as this will undoubtedly help me in the completion of my thesis. Disclaimer: The information displayed on this site has not been previously edited or checked by any A4A staff and I'm the sole responsible for it's contents. A4A or any of the other involved organizations are not to be hold responsible on any account for what is published on this blog.

Tuesday 28 August 2007

Orange, green, and yellow…

An early morning site visit (I had gone to drop off Liz at the airport, gave me hope that one day I’ll also be on my way to the airport) proved quite useful, as they were setting out the last walls in the kitchen area.

I also caught a glimpse of the thatcher, didn’t quite manage to see how many guys he had with him? Not really a problem, as it will be possible to calculate how many they were…

And in the Afternoon I received claim nr2 from the contractor. I had a quick look at it and have decided that I will not check it, until it is properly done! Who ever did it, just didn’t care anything about what they had doing and have mixed, previously claimed amounts with current amount! A true mess!

Both these events were important, however the biggest achievement of the day, was the decision on the colour scheme. Well not quite the decision (as I still need to go and find exactly the colours that I want), but the “go ahead” from Lydia on the overall colour scheme.

As agreed the scheme will be a simple, traditionally inspired (picture shows one house with a similar scheme), orange/terracotta for the walls, yellow/beige for the frames and light green for the doors and windows. The interior will be painted a light crème and the carpet tiles and vinyl tiles might be of changing colours.

No comments: